Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Aside From That Mrs. Lincoln, How Did You Enjoy The Play?


Oh, my. What a disaster the GAB in KC was. Obviously we had no WiFi, otherwise I would have sent out a distress signal.

First of all, the entire cook-off was on asphalt. Second, there were 161 cookers fired-up and the humidity was sky-high. Teams complained all weekend how their cooker's temperatures were all over the map; I had the same problem.

I guess when I read the small print I had NO idea there was an "invitational" and an "open" BBQ contest all rolled into one. So, we rolled in Friday AM and set up and that's when we found out about the two cook-off's; I couldn't get meat inspected until Saturday morning. In addition to that the KCBS meat turn-in times were a half-hour later than normal.

Once again upon arrival we discovered our trailer-slash-kitchen had no electricity. Every time
we plugged in the cord, POP, went the GFI and we had nothing. So, in 90+ degree heat on asphalt we had to run extension cords to plug in a mini-fridge, box fan and a light. It was miserable, to say the least.

I knew this trip was head shot before we left. The week before I had ordered 2 CAB briskets for the cook-off; these CAB briskets are almost top drawer briskets. Certified Angus Beef briskets are not carried by all markets, so I had ordered two 13-14 lb. briskets to be picked up the day before we headed out to the GAB. After a 78 mile round-trip to pick them up, the frickin' butcher had failed to order them. NO BEEF BRISKET??? Well, it's time for a back-up plan. The next day, I had things under control with two 13 pound whole briskets; they weren't CAB, but they were briskets.

Anyway, to make a short story long we bombed. We flopped. It sucked.

Now it's on to Sallisaw, Oklahoma. Keep you posted. 

No comments: