Monday, September 21, 2009

BBQ Classes With Mike Mills & Chef Paul Kirk





Even though I've been BBQing for over 20 years, it's never too late to see if this old dog can learn some new tricks. 

Next weekend I'll have my Ole Hickory hooked up and smokin' in McKinney, Texas participating in a cooking class led by none other than Chef Paul Kirk, the Baron of Barbecue. I can't wait to learn something - anything from this guy. In case you don't know, Kirk has won over 450 BBQ awards and has won the Royal, the Jack and many others. Two things he'll cover is how to pick the best meat for a competition and how spices compliment one another in both rubs and sauce. That is an area, the spices, that I've always struggled with. I hope this well be helpful.

Then in October, after the American Royal I'll be in Cape Girardeau, MO at the Ole' Hickory test kitchen to learn from The Legend, Mike Mills. Like Kirk, Mike Mills has amassed many a BBQ trophy himself and operates numerous BBQ joints around the country. In fact, three of his operations are based in Las Vegas which isn't considered a BBQ mecca, but has been very successful there. I won't have to take my cooker to Cape as the class will have access to 3 Ole Hickory Pits in their kitchen.

So, by the end of October I should have garnered some valuable knowledge that up until now has alluded my smoked cranium. Looking forward to that.

No comments: