Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Four Seasonings


Well, after much thinking, web browsing and limited marketing skills, I've decided to jump into marketing my barbecue seasonings locally.

Coming up with a catchy name, one that would identify the product with barbecuing was tough. There are countless names on the market like Bubba's this and Junior's that, but I wanted one that would stand out and be rememberable; in marketing that's not always easy.

Then the other night it hit me. Remember that old rock n' roll song "Goin' To Kansas City"? Well, there is a street corner in the song, 18th and Vine. "Bam!" That's it. Not only did Jazz and Blues get their start at 18th and Vine in Kansas City, so did Barbecue. 

I've posted a picture of the label here for you to see. There will be four rubs available for sale such as "Sweet Stevie's Rhythmic Rib Rub", "Big Ella's Yardbird BBQ Rub", "Boss Tom's Brisket Rub" and "Cool Pappa's Pork Butt Rub."

I have ordered UPC bar codes and plan on ordering containers this week. If all goes well, I plan on doing 25, 16 ounce bottles of each. Still working on the pricing, and heck, if all goes well, I'll add BBQ Sauce to the line. I also have an application to join AGRIMISSOURI this week, which designates your product as being Made In Missouri. They allow members to participate in trade shows for independent grocers and sponsor product fairs for the general public to buy your stuff; it also opens doors to the area farmer markets.

The main point of the rubs are the fact they're all natural ingredients. No chemicals or artificial flavors. 

Let me know what you think.

No comments: