Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wonder Boy and Savoy Special Rolled Into One



If you've ever seen "The Natural" then you know the backdrop that led to the title of this posting.

Like Roy Hobbs, I had been knocking around in the "minors" as a backyard BBQ warrior for over 20 years. Not until this year, at the tender age of 53, did my family and I decide to enter KCBS BBQ competitions, aka, the major league of barbecue. 

As Pop Fisher told Hobbs, "People don't start playing ball at your age fella, they retire."

Well maybe so, but not this Hobbs. Despite the fact that our team, Chaingang BBQ has only competed in four KCBS events and already received a "call" at competition, I knew there had to be more; we needed a way to break out. 

Like Hobbs, I can now finally show folks how good my 'cue can be with my version of a Wonder Boy slash Savoy Special baseball bat in the form of a BBQ cooker. Now, Chaingang BBQ can step to the plate and knock one out of the park with our new Ole Hickory Convecture Tri-Oven pit. 

No more sleepless nights at competition. I am really looking forward learning the in's and out's of this Ole Hickory Pit. It features over 19 1/2 square feet of cooking space with four large sliding racks and 46,000 BTU's to get the party started using either charcoal or wood chunks - your choice.

By the way, if you're in the market for an Ole Hickory Pit let me tell you the team there is top notch and wonderful to work with. Check out their cookers at www.olehickorypits.com


No comments: