Sunday, January 10, 2010

There's Always Room For Good BBQ

We've just completed our second week and I really think people who've eaten our BBQ love it, in fact, on Facebook, Chain Gang started last week with something like 16 "fans" as of this posting, we're now at 96! Now, we've not served eighty new customers, but word is spreading like wildfire.

I've always loved to BBQ and have always cooked for friends and family, but never for people who will pay for your BBQ. I am amazed at the comments from folks who've tried our food and those kind words just fire me up. You know with this nasty arctic weather we've had since I can't remember when, has really played havoc on our serving trailer; we had to re-wire the thing, then tanks froze and on and on. I appreciate everyone being so patient with the open and closed roller coaster. Next week: The 50's, oh yeah.

We also had our first catering job today for The Bridge Church in Nixa. We were proud to serve our award winning Pulled Pork to two groups of 20 who had different meetings at the same time. 20 folks wanted our baked beans and slaw as sides while the other group had a sorta "pot luck" with their sides and everyone brought something different. We slow smoked four whole butts and made the sides. Both groups said their food was wonderful. I know this sounds crazy, but when you BBQ as much as I do you realize that certain cuts of meat are like a personality in that they react differently to your process. I knew today when I began pulling the pork, these butts were exceptional; they were juicy and had an amazing flavor. Had I been at contest with those butts, a call in the top 3 would've been a cinch.

I also have to thank "The Legend" Mike Mills of the 17th Street Bar & Grill. I took a class with him in October, but didn't know a thing about catering, so when I got the job for The Bridge, I called Mike. They say the guys who know BBQ will always spend time with others to share their knowledge of 'cue and serve as a Goodwill Ambassador, if you will. Mike Mills spent an hour on the phone with me discussing catering, pits and everything in between. I couldn't believe he would spend that kind of time with me, but he did and I couldn't help thinking the whole time, here I am talking with Mike Mills! Not only talking to him, but one-on-one and I wondered, how many BBQ guys in my neck-of-woods have done what I'm doing?

So, our feet are on the ground and look forward to the path we'll go down because as long as I can BBQ, you'll get the best I have. And that's a promise.

No comments: